Thursday, February 14, 2013

Closeup of Mosque's Minaret Top

While most Muslims I've spoken to insist that the crescent moon is not a "symbol" of Islam, it continues to appear atop most mosque's minarets - so I don't exactly understand why they insist that it's not a "symbol" of the religion.  The crescent moon is an important aspect of the holy month of Ramadan, when Muslims are required to fast every day during the daylight hours from sunrise until sunset.  The sighting of the crescent moon signals the end of the month of Ramadan. 

Every day one can hear the calls to prayer from the nearby mosques, which are broadcast five times daily in every direction through a speaker system which is often attached to the minarets, as you can see in the photo. 

4 comments:

Wafa khalid said...

This tradition of using the crescent moon started at the age when turks ruled. Yes it has significant meaning to us because we are on lunar calander. But not just for Ramadan.

The crescent just got attached to muslims and islam. And became some kind of a symbol. .

Susie of Arabia said...

Thank you, Wafa - The crescent moon certainly has symbolic meaning in Islam. I think some people just have a problem with calling it a "symbol" of Islam for whatever reasons. I admit I'm always surprised when so many people have told me that it is NOT a symbol of Islam.

EG CameraGirl said...

Fascinating, Susie. For sure I'd have thought it was a symbol of Islam...until I read this.

Steffi said...

Very interesting and fascinating post and nice photo,Susie!