Monday, November 3, 2014

Jeddah: Business Sign and More

Many of Jeddah's older buildings seem to be rather poorly designed, with not much thought given to its general appearance or design.  I looked up while walking in Al Balad (the oldest part of 1400 year old Jeddah), and I was intrigued by the rows of totally different imagery above me.  I was taken by the business sign with its graceful Arabic calligraphy, the arrow design pointing upward, the row of golden colored squares which preceded the beautiful cool ice blue wooden window coverings called rawasheen.  And above that, an inkling of the patched and crumbling building upon which all of these rows of imagery depend.  I thought the geometric shapes, the calligraphy, and the colors and textures all together made for an interesting picture - I hope you do too.

2 comments:

William Kendall said...

It's such a contrast. I do like the stylized calligraphy of Arabic.

Jerry Mc Kenna said...

It is an odd mix of the ancient and modern.