Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Our World: Saudi Arabia Eating While Veiled


Wearing the face veil (called niqab) in Saudi Arabia can present some challenges for women. One problem is breathing, especially when it's so hot and humid.  I've noticed that the veil is sometimes sucked inward toward the nostrils and mouth when the woman takes a breath.  Another challenge is eating or drinking in public while wearing the veil.  I've seen some women remove their veils in restaurants so they can eat and then when they are done, they put their veils back on.  I've also observed women lifting the veil with one hand and feeding themselves with the other hand, as the woman in this photo is demonstrating.  I'm such a messy eater that I'm sure the inside of my niqab would look like a dirty napkin if I ate while wearing it!



Be sure to visit OUR WORLD TUESDAY, where family-friendly bloggers share a unique glimpse into what life is like all around our ever-amazing planet.

7 comments:

Ch4 said...

This habit remains since I was a child in Saudi Arabia.

Lady Fi said...

That does look a bit awkward.

Kate said...

It never occurred to me to wonder how meals were eaten! We now have so many similarly garbed women in out metropolitan area but have never had the never to invade their space by photographing them, although I have been sorely tempted to take stealth photos.

Jerry Mc Kenna said...

This is just unsanitary.

William Kendall said...

That's something I'd wondered.

Su-sieee! Mac said...

Thanks for sharing.

Dina said...

This picture makes me sad, Susie.