Wednesday, May 18, 2016

Traditional Saudi Men's Wear

You may have seen photos of Saudi royalty or dignitaries dressed in this type of clothing.  But do you know what each piece of clothing is called?

The white flowing robe with the gold trim worn over the white dress (Thobe) is called Bisht.  It comes in other colors too, like black, brown, or gold.

The red and white checkered scarf which is folded into a triangle shape and then draped over the head is called Shemagh.  The plain white one is called Ghotra or Ghutra.

The black hoop worn over the shemagh to keep it in place is called Egal.

The plain white dress worn underneath is Thobe.  


Jerry Mc Kenna said...

I knew the bisht and thobe but I never knew what the headgear is called.

William Kendall said...

I would not have known the terms.


thanks, didn't know but was always curious!