Sunday, March 21, 2021

FACES OF ARABIA 8

ZEBIBA - THE PRAYER BUMP

MUSLIMS ARE REQUIRED TO PRAY FIVE TIMES A DAY.  DURING THE PRAYER RITUAL, AT VARIOUS TIMES, THE FOREHEAD IS PRESSED  DOWN TO THE PRAYER RUG, CAUSING FRICTION. THIS CONTINUAL CONTACT MAY EVENTUALLY RESULT IN CALLOUSES FORMING ON THE FOREHEAD CALLED ZEBIBA.  IT CAN APPEAR AS ACTUAL BUMPS OR AS DARK SPOTS.  

ZEBIBA IS A SIGN OF DEVOTION, PIETY, AND DEDICATION.  HOWEVER MUSLIMS ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO PURPOSELY TRY TO FORM ZEBIBA IN ORDER TO "SHOW OFF" TO APPEAR TO BE MORE DEVOUT THAN OTHERS.  

INTERESTINGLY ENOUGH, FOR SOME REASON ZEBIBA FORMS MORE FREQUENTLY IN PEOPLE WITH DIABETES.  I'VE ONLY SEEN MEN HERE WITH ZEBIBA.  JUST A FEW DAYS AGO, I SAW A MAN WITH A HUGE BUMP STICKING OUT ON HIS FOREHEAD.  PREVIOUSLY I HAD JUST SEEN THE DARKENED AREA ON MEN'S FOREHEADS. 

FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT ZEBIBA, I PREVIOUSLY WROTE ABOUT IT ON THIS POST.

THE MEN IN THIS POST ARE NOT SAUDI. THEY ARE ALL FOREIGN WORKERS.


NOT ZEBIBA

LINKING TO - ALL SEASONS


7 comments:

Marie Smith said...

I had never heard of this. Fascinating post.

Tom said...

...a prayer bump is new to me.

Maggid said...

Thank you for sharing . . . 💙

lesh Stgermain said...

Have great admiration for you living there, Susie, in such a complete different culture. Especially as a woman, even though you probably have a Western husband, there must still be restrictions for you, like going to the beach and getting a tan in a swimming suit, or a indoor swimming pool...Even more if you were to be a christian (even though Christianity comes from a Middle Eastern country). Because I am, it is sad for me to see this, that these customs will not save them for eternal life.Many thanks for sharing how it is to live there with All Seasons, Have an inspiring week, Jesh

Michelle said...

New information to me, but I enjoy learning about others.

Jackie and Joel Smith said...

I so enjoy your posts. . .and always learn something new!

William Kendall said...

Good portrait shots!