Thursday, January 24, 2013

Giant Incense Burner on Rooftop

In many places around Jeddah I have seen enormous incense burners, which are approximately 4.5 feet in height.  Mostly I've seen them outside businesses, and oftentimes there are smaller incense burners sitting on top of them burning incense.  I'm not sure of the exact origins of these huge incense burners, but I have seen them frequently.  Normal sized incense burners are avalable everywhere here and are often made quite elaborately, sometimes in heavy crystal, wood, or metal.  The burner in this photo (left of the satellite dish, lower center) is actually on top of the roof of a building.  I remember seeing another huge incense burner on top of another building a while back.

To give you an idea of the sheer size of these larger incense burners, please see these previous posts of mine:  Super Sized Incense Burner and Incense on the Street.  


No comments: