Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Driving Madness

I complain all the time about the fact that I cannot drive here in Saudi Arabia because I am a woman.  This fact is especially maddening when I see such careless and dangerous driving habits every time we are out, such as reckless driving, little boys behind the wheel, children not buckled in and hanging out the windows, and many other crazy infractions too numerous to mention. 

This photo shows something I might see on a typical day on the streets of Jeddah.  Yes, that is a small child's head sticking up out through the open sun roof of the vehicle.  I get so angry when I see things like this, but it happens all the time.  Just yesterday I saw a big SUV with several children riding on TOP of the roof of the moving car.  I was so stunned I didn't have a chance to get my camera ready - otherwise I would have posted that picture for you too.  * sigh *

4 comments:

Dina said...

It is fun to imagine how it would all look if ONLY women were allowed to drive and no men.

Susie of Arabia said...

Hi Dina - I think if women were behind the wheel here, it would change a lot of things, especially as far as children in the vehicle are concerned.

Moniur S Rohman said...

I think the roads worldwide would be safer if we had more women drivers than men. And I'm a male.

Moniur S Rohman said...

I think the roads worldwide would be safer if we had more women drivers than men. And I'm a male.