Friday, May 1, 2015

Camel Shadows

Photo Credit:  George Steinmetz for National Geographic 2005
Well, I didn't intend to take such a long break from this blog, but I guess I needed it.  Posting daily requires such a big commitment - and a lot of work taking photos, weeding through them, and getting the chosen photos ready for the blog.  So I hope I am rested up and ready to rumble!

With this post upon my return after a several month absence, instead of posting one of my own photos as I normally do, I thought I would treat you to a visual masterpiece taken by world renowned National Geographic photographer George Steinmetz.  Featured in the Turkish issue of National Geographic magazine from February 2005, this photo is the result of having a bird's eye view while Steinmetz was operating a motorized paraglider hovering above the desert sands of Saudi Arabia.  The dark camel shapes are actually the camels' shadows and the light shapes at their feet are the actual camels.  This photo was chosen as one of the best of the year in 2005 by National Geographic. 

6 comments:

William Kendall said...

Good to see you back! Yes, I remember this pic.

Dina said...

Hi Susie, I'm glad you're back!
Try as I may, I just can't grasp the reality of this photo.

Susie of Arabia said...

Thank you, William!

Susie of Arabia said...

Hi Dina! Thanks - I feel like I took a really break this time! It's hard to make out the camels themselves in the pic, and the time of day the photo was taken was probably at sunrise which caused really long shadows being cast by the camels.

Jerry Mc Kenna said...

Wonderful photo (even if not yours). How in the world do you shoot from a paraglider?

Susie of Arabia said...

Hi Jerry - It can't be easy, I'm sure. This photographer loves shooting from up above in a paraglider, so I'm sure he has perfected his technique!