Saturday, April 26, 2014

Jeddah Graffiti Series: Vertical and Horizontal Views



One of my favorite exhibitions for this year's Jeddah Art Week, which was held in February, was the graffiti street art by several artists that was painted in an urban area in Al Balad, the oldest part of Jeddah.  Middle Eastern graffiti combines Arabic calligraphy with graffiti, coining the term "calligraffiti."  The elegant calligraffiti at the top of the building was done by the artist eL Seed.  For more information about his work and how this art was applied, click HERE.


This horizontal view of the red calligraffiti shows how it fills a previously blank wall between men's and women's public toilets.  I have complained before about the non-artistic graffiti that plagues the entire city of Jeddah, but this is real art and I love it. I hope you enjoyed my Jeddah Graffiti Series that I featured the past few days. 

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

That shade of red's quite vivid in the foreground work.