Tuesday, January 22, 2019

Jeddah's Sunflower Field Fountain at Dusk


The Sunflowers Fountain is one of my favorite sculptures in Jeddah.  I have never once seen the fountain in operation however - so I'm not sure if it's broken or what the problem with it is.  It sits in the middle of a lagoon near the Corniche which runs along the Red Sea coastline.  This graceful work of art is one of the few art pieces made for the city of Jeddah that is credited to a woman.  Eila Hiltunen was a Finnish sculptor who designed this stainless steel fountain in the 1980s. Her most famous artwork is the Sibelius Monument, located in Helsinki.

A big "Thanks" to my friend and amazing photographer Abdullah Yahya for allowing me to share this beautiful photo for today's post.  Stay tuned for more fantastic pics from around Saudi Arabia taken by Abdullah.  Follow him on Instagram and Twitter @ayaa1977

No comments: