Thursday, April 18, 2019

SkyWatch - Yes, It's Really a Fountain!


In the eleven years that I have lived in Jeddah, yesterday was the first day I have EVER seen the spectacular Sunflower Field Fountain actually spraying water!  Of course I don't get to drive by it every day, so I'm sure it probably sprays other times when I am not around.  But needless to say, I was very excited to see it operating.  The fountain sits in a lagoon along Jeddah's Corniche which runs along the Red Sea coastline. 


Surprisingly enough, a female artist was responsible for this lovely public art installation.  Eila Hiltunen, a Finnish sculptress, designed the fountain in the 1980s. The fountain contains seven graceful and whimsical perky sunflowers made of non-corrosive stainless steel to withstand effects from the harsh environment of Jeddah, such as the extreme heat, humidity, wind, dust and the salty sea air.

I couldn't get very good photos of the fountain because we were zooming by in a car, but I'm pretty happy with the pics I did get.



To  visit MORE friendly skies around the world, fly on over to SKYWATCH  where you’ll find beautiful skies posted by bloggers all over the world.

1 comment:

William Kendall said...

That is a welcome sight to see.