Monday, February 3, 2020

Our World - A Problem with Blogging


Back in March of 2008, I posted this photo of my husband, to show what religious pilgrims wear when they travel to Mecca for Hajj or Omra.  Here is the actual post I made about it.

So you can imagine my surprise and disbelief when a few days ago, a friend sent me the photo below.  It is some type of advertisement using the cropped out image of my husband, superimposed over a photo with the background of the Great Mosque of Mecca.

The flyer says "Parvin - Dhoties, 100% Cotton Dhoties."  I located the company in India responsible for stealing my image for their label for a textile product.  My husband wants to be paid for the use of his image, and I want to be paid for the use of my photo. Somehow I doubt we will ever get paid...

Many bloggers, including myself, have had our images stolen without our permission and without compensation. It is a huge problem. The only time I really mind is when my photos are used for advertising by a company that can and should pay for use of the images. They are making a profit off of my work - and I'm not. 


Be sure to visit OUR WORLD TUESDAY, where family-friendly bloggers share a unique glimpse into what life is like all around our ever-amazing planet.

4 comments:

William Kendall said...

That is infuriating.

I have allowed, when asked, for a church to make use of one of my photographs for their newsletter, and the same for a local history group. On the odd occasion I've had people reach out to me for the use of one of my photos, with payment, such as a magazine.

veeds of arabia said...

I sure hope you're able to get something out of this, if only a retraction and apology. As a matter of fact, I remember using one of your photos (a Saudi lingerie salesman) several years ago but I was careful to ask your permission...and then credit you in the post.

Regards from Arizona. Jim

Jackie and Joel Smith said...

I shudder to think of the ways photos I have posted in a context may be used out of context and for profit in others.

Gaelyn said...

That's just wrong.